dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

My take on: GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn.

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Also find this review on Also find this review on my blog Don't Stop Readin' and GoodReads

Okay, so after 24 hours I have come to a conclusion and decided on one final rating and that is 4 Stars.

“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.”

Gone Girl's concept was amazing. It was something I had always wanted to read - a story narrated from both sides with conflicting views.

What I didn't like or rather felt disappointed was the fact that I had expected a different ending.
*SPOILER*

I really wanted Nick to frame Amy somehow and send her to prison, where she belongs. She was a crazy psychopath and you cannot let a person like her out on the streets.
Another thing was that Amy's character was a little unbelievable, no one can be THAT perfect, it is hardly even possible.
*SPOILER ENDS*
Then, there were a lot of pages wasted on useless stuff. Nearly all of Part I was not required, there were unnecessary details provided which just increased the thickness of the book but did not account into the story at all.

Or maybe I was a little let down by the book overall because I knew most of the story and plot twists before reading itself. (I was browsing through someone's review and she did not spoiler tag it, that's why. :S )

BUT, the Part II is UNPUTDOWNABLE. I even took this book to the bathroom with me and got so engrossed that I forgot to come out and spent 2 hours there itself reading it!!

So, chiefly, I think Gone Girl was a very innovative book in this genre and worth a read. From characters to the edge-of-the seat thrill, everything was very impressive. Gillian Flynn is an author I’m definitely going to look out for. Her switching POV’s was very successfully done, when you read Nick’s part, you’ll be full of angst and when Amy’s part…well, if I say it, it’s going to be spoilery. Let’s just say that it was easy to distinguish and full marks to Flynn in that department. Her attempt at writing a brain fucking, addictive thriller was totally efficacious. She is an author who has a stamp of approval by THE Stephen King himself so yeah; I’m definitely going to check out her other books.

Personally, I’m more excited about David Fincher’s screen adaptation and that was one of the reasons that got me to read this book and I’m just glad that effort did not go to waste.

Reblogged from Don't Stop Readin'