dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Requiem - Lauren Oliver I don't know what to think. I have never been so intensely confused about my feelings towards a book. One moment I feel like I really liked this, other moment I feel frustrated by the way it ended.
The end was so abrupt that it had me wondering if my ecopy was complete or not!
I have been going over my thoughts again and again and for a second I feel I really loved it then suddenly I will be like, what was so special about it?
I am still not in the right state of mind to decide my thoughts about this book.

Requiem had no solid plot. It just consisted of two things- One was from Lena's perspective where the Invalids were moving from place to place, dodging Regulators, planning bombings and dying on their way (living up to the title of the book). Other was from Hana's perspective where she was getting prepared for her wedding with the mayor who was a psycho. That's it, nothing else.
There is no proper ending to this story. Every topic was just ...left without any conclusion. It seemed like Lauren Oliver was trying to pull off a Mockingjay gone wrong with twice as many lose ends.

The book ended with very beautiful lines but did not meet a beautiful end. We were not told what would happen now that Invalids had entered Portland, whether Fred died or not (I'm guessing her did, there was bomb so d'uh but sometimes things need to be mentioned), whether Hana survived because Resistance had been destroying the city and she was out there. What about things Fred's ex-wife had said? Were they true? Julian-Lena-Alex triangle ended with L & A confessing their love but ..ugh! I can just keep mentioning all the little and huge things! In a nutshell, EVERY topic was left without any closure.

If I didn't know any better I'd say Ms. Oliver did not have any idea how to end the book. It seemed like she had written this at one go and then suddenly she felt tired of typing so she stopped. I feel this installment had a lot of potential and Delirium trilogy could have gotten a mind-blowing end making this series epic (I hope Veronica Roth doesn't make this mistake too). I didn't like the first book that much but Pandemonium really hit me in the right spot. But this one...all I can say is if Requiem had been revved up to the latent it had in store no one could have stopped it from being counted as best dystopic series. Instead it was reduced to a series of repetitive incidents of moving, bombing, dying almost in a loop and Lena's views about her two boyfriends that seemed to change in every chapter.

I am still debating how many stars to give so I'll play it safe by giving it 3. But as my love for depressing-sad books goes I might give it 4 and add in my favorites even.....as of now, I can't settle on one thing. So 3 stars it is.