dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Pretty Little Liars #13: Crushed - Sara Shepard I swear to God, this woman is capable of writing a brain-storming YA-thriller and I have no idea why she settles for this . Sara Shepard should have ended this series at 8th book as well as her The Lying Games at 4th and tried her hand at something else. I’m sure she’d have been great at it.
Even people who haven’t read PLL are sick of a new book popping up every 4 months! There is a limit, you know.

So, books 9 to 11 were total shit -1-star worthy, 12th was semi-shit as was this (13th) one. Why only semi-shit, you ask?
Because, there were some awesome twists even I couldn't figure out till the end and despite the utter dumbness the lead characters showed, they had really juicy secrets stashed away in their closets. I don’t know how it is possible that after reading 13 freaking books I couldn't figure it out and when the secret really was out in the open, it managed to shock me so much. So that’s a point to you, Ms. Shepard.
By the looks of it and the rumors I’ve heard that this time this series is going to end after 14th book. For real. For really, really, real. Not the past suggestions that 8th was going to be last ...oh no, wait, 10th is…then, suddenly - woman, are you shitting me? There are two more? But this time it seems like the author has made up her mind. For real. (About time!) So this makes Crushed a pre-finale book and with the loose ends that are left open, I think the last book is going to be worth the trouble we all have been through. Or at least, I hope so.

But I sincerely wish that Sara Shepard puts an end to this monstrosity. The previous set of books (9-12) were so poor that it seemed liked she had no attachment to the characters and was writing away because she had a gun pointed at her head to do so. This book was definitely better but it doesn't mean I want more of this. To be honest, the books in themselves are good but when put together in a series, they just don’t work. They are all too similar and I’m sick and tired of reading the same stuff for the past 13 books! The girls keep getting away after committing hideous crimes, ‘A’ stalking them like Edward stalked Bella-just not with the same intentions and the 4 of them behaving like bunch of bimbos and accusing everything that moves of being A. I am so done with this repetitive plot. As I’ve been reading this series for so long, you’d expect me to be sad about being coming to an end. No, I am really not. I am not the least bit sad, in fact I’m glad that Sara Shepard will now have time to write something of her choice and not by force plus, the fact that I won’t have read about these four snotty good-for-nothing dunderheads anymore doesn’t hurt either.