dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Delirium - Lauren Oliver 1.5 Stars

When I started reading this my first thought was "Oh crap, it’s gonna be like Matched!" but no, it turned out to be better than Matched ...not great though. Both books were centered on breaking free from a society which forbade love. I personally don't like books which center on a love story and by default I didn't like this book much either.

The girl, Lena is again a short, not so pretty, shy girl who throws away everything for a love that happened in a month. It felt more like a crush that love, really. Author should have given their "love" more time, like 4 months at least! All other characters were equally text-book type. Lena’s best friend, Hana was outgoing; boyfriend Alex was hot and handsome. There was nothing new and unusual in this story, I kept asking myself throughout the book why the hell was this series hyped so much.

In this book’s dystopian society people are Cured from a disease that is love and all other emotions with it. Through narrators eyes their Government seemed like it was super-duper strict and everyone was supposed to be dead scared of them. But Lauren Oliver made of mess of it later. As the story progressed we saw that teenagers used to roam around, have late night parties, break into abandoned bungalows, and stay long after curfew without any fear of the Regulators! There were Invalids living in disguise without a Cure and the authorities could never sense it. Just a 1st Level Security guard was able to cross in and out of the wild, go in restricted areas, steal a bike with his girlfriend etc. How stupid is that? It felt like Miss Oliver had no idea of the big picture. She just kept on writing and writing to move the story forward, to reach the end somehow. The writing seemed so bland at times too. Even little unimportant things were described in gory detail, paragraphs and paragraphs were wasted on worthless things. I could just skip the pages and still catch up.
There were many faults in this book and overall I was quite disappointed. Delirium had me convinced that reading Pandemonium would be of no use. The Dystopian setting wasn't properly thought out and their romance was way too cheesy. It was so sudden that I actually thought Lena was too stupid to leave everything behind because I hadn't even started trusting that Alex guy yet! God, what attracts people to these poorly written books in the first place is beyond me.