dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

The Iron Daughter - Julie Kagawa I don’t think I even qualify to review this book as I gave it up after 100 something pages due to its sheer stupidity. I liked its prequel [b:The Iron King|6644117|The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327877670s/6644117.jpg|6838626] just fine, it was better than other YA Fae books in comparison, at least.

In this book it was as if Meghan’s character had taken a complete U-turn. She wasn’t your kick-butt heroine in the first book either but she was even worse in this. Firstly, I had mentioned the same in my review of 1st book as well - that Meghan and Ash didn't exactly lack chemistry; let’s just say that they didn't have any chemistry! I have no clue what they found attractive about each other, their love just...happened, because it was supposed to happen.
Ash is described as a handsome silver-eyed Winter prince who has this whole bad-boy thing going which is freakin’ hot, I know that. But it doesn't mean that you fall in love with the guy even though he hasn't even looked at you properly once.

If you found their love story absurd in 1st book, you’ll find it insanely bizarre in this one.

Okay, so Ash and Meghan confessed their dopey love for each other but then Ash told her not to trust his actions in the Winter Land because he needed to pull on a façade of being a perfect prince so he could protect her.
Why can’t that snotty little Meghan understand that? He told her several times not to talk to him or express any kind of relation for these many reasons but that twit didn't get a thing in her thick-head! She goes all “I love you, Ash, but you lied to me, Ash. But I’ll still love you, Ash, and you’ll keep lying to me, Ash”!

First, Ash’s cocky attitude was getting on my nerves. His vow to be a dick in the name of "protecting" her was totally half-baked and obviously backfired because Meghan the numbnut couldn't keep her mouth shut. She just assumed that Ash never really loved her, he used her to bring her to Unseelie court and blah blah....Sooo doesn't that mean she should actually hate him for doing this to her instead of pining even more for him? That is just ridiculous! I was driven up the wall because of the way these characters were behaving, one time hot, other time cold.

But one thing I truly appreciate is Julie Kagawa’s setting; she is very true to the Fey folklore and characters. With the inclusion of Iron Fey it becomes even more interesting so I’m gonna catch up with this book’s plot somehow and try to read next one properly (maybe). I hope its better or else I am saying goodbye to this series even though I really wanna know how this Iron and Fey business ends.