dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

The Lost Years - Mary Higgins Clark Let me make this clear: I love Mary Higgins Clark.
I've read plenty of her books and never given any of it below 3-star rating but giving 2 stars to this one feels too generous.

First, this book started off with a Da Vinci Code type of plot which was not needed at all. Instead of that letter written by Jesus stuff, easily there could have been something else used to define the story. Suspense was carried out in classic Clark-style which was a good thing but I don't think she is capable of mixing historical fiction into modern day thriller.
MHC is a master at story building and there is no doubt about that but here, even after all the work she was doing to conceal the identity of the killer it was clearly visible throughout. The guy who hasn't been in the spotlight turns out to be all psycho and murdery kind, that's like Mystery Writing 101.
I can't believe MHC would do such a thing. This book was a mixture of all her previous works, the protagonist being a copy of all her earlier books, villain a xerox of Loves Music, Loves to Dance and everything else was also derived from her ex books.

This one was really disappointing in totality but I enjoy Clark's writing style and of course, one bad book isn't gonna change my relationship with her. I will still be eager to read any of her work and she's still one of my favorites!