dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi 1 Star is much more than this book actually deserves. There was not even a single thing that I liked about it, nothing at all. In my opinion, this book should’ve been named Touch Me instead of Shatter Me. For someone whose touch was forbidden, she spent an awful lot of time wanting to get touched.

“You can't touch me," I whisper. I'm lying, is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.”

See what I mean?!

This book is one of those where the author comes up with a bullshit story, has a weak, tortured heroine, handsome hero, smouldering villain and…surprise, surprise a love triangle! How can we forget our dear love triangle?
But in this book, the main love story was even creepier in my opinion, creepier than insta-love because the two main characters were in love with each other since 3rd grade! 3rd GRADE! Wow, they got their hormones pretty soon, huh?
And I don’t really understand Warren’s character. He was the villain but what was his intention? All he wanted to do was destroy the world and create the one he wanted, the one he could rule but - WHY? . That was never answered and neither was the reason of him being madly in love with Juliet. He was crazy about her even before he saw her. That is just stupid.

Who the hell categorised this plot as dystopia?

The writing. Oh God, the horror!
Never have I read such overly-pretentious writing. Every sentence was in the form of a phrase which was supposed to sound beautiful but in reality it sounded like a 5-year old attending Creative Writing classes. So, so horrible that I can’t even think of proper words to describe it and if I do start, I will not stop ranting on for pages. I will just mention a few quotes here to prove my point-

“Summer is like a slow-cooker bringing everything in the world to a boil one degree at a time. It promises a million happy adjectives only to pour stench and sewage into your nose for dinner.”

“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

"I am a raindrop.
My parents emptied their pockets of me and left me to evaporate on a concrete slab.”

She kept saying this nonsensical things over and over and over again which was super-irritating. And I remember there was page on which "I am not insane" was written all over it, and that definitely made her look insane.

There was a moment when Juliet said “I am a Venus flytrap”, and I lost it. I had been controlling myself for so long, trying to keep moving forward but that was the limit. I got so sick of Tahereh Mafi's writing at that point, the way her every sentence began and ended with metaphors, similes, alliterations or whatever the fuck that was, it got on my nerves! I was like why can't you write like a normal human being, woman? Your excessive use of made-up shitty metaphors make Cassandra Clare look like a better writer!

The one star that I have given are not to this book, but to myself. It is for me for reading this book, till the last page. I can’t believe I read through that disastrous and extremely pointless world building and lived.
Towards the end this book turned out to be a sci-fi thriller rather than dystopia. All that mutant shit seemed totally inspired by X-Men. Someone needs to explain the author what a dystopia is, it does not mean writing just any story in a post-apocalyptic/sci-fi world, there are several other aspects to it like a strict society, suppressive rules etc which make it so.

I am not going to read its sequel even if Adrian Ivashkov himself will ask me to!