45 Followers
61 Following
dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand 3.5 Stars

Unearthly is the first book in the YA Fantasy series Unearthly of 3 books out of which two have been published and I have read just the one.
I must say, I was about to back down after first 10 pages itself. The narration was first person from a female perspective and when she started talking about a guy, I was ready to bail out. I imagined it would be again a book where girl sees a guy who is like a Prince Charming and she starts obsessing over it….well, you know the drill. But it’s a great thing that I didn't, bail out I mean.

Yes, this book revolves around a love story, but no, the girl does not spend her days and night dreaming about the color of his eyes, arc of his cheekbones {Sound familiar? ;)}. The girl, Clara is a quarter-angel who has a Purpose to fulfil which comes to her in Vision. Vision is something like flashes of scenes which she is supposed to figure out herself to establish herself as an angel-blood.
Her Vision always shows her a handsome boy whom she is supposed to rescue from a fire and obviously, to fulfill it she needs to move to the place where the guy is. She moves to Wyoming from the city lights of California for that. And fair enough, she finds the guy whose name is Christian and is supposedly the Prom King material.
The story is kind of like Beautiful Creatures (which totally sucked btw) with a little role reversal. But the similarity about the two books ends there. Unearthly was a million times better read than that bunch of crap. This book was fairly well written with a great pace. The story went by smoothly with weeks and months of narration summarized in a chapter. I loved the setting, especially the school and their house; it’s one of the coolest I have read in a while. All the characters were developed really great and all of them very lovable. Clara is described as better than average looking with tall features and striking blond hair and I was so grateful to Cynthia Hand for not giving us a Bella Swan-like heroine who would've been hard to tolerate for even a page. Because of her angel blood she and her brother are good at almost anything they do.
Without giving out a spoiler I’m just gonna mention this much that the love story was incorporated within the story very very well. Their love didn't happen in a jiffy, instead it took almost a year for them to realize that they were falling for each other. It’s the first time I swear that I've enjoyed a book which revolved entirely on romance. There was something about this one which was intriguing and kept me reading.
Names of some of the characters were creepy. Christian Prescott was the only near to normal name mentioned. Clara – reminds of me Clary which reminds me of the unholy Mortal Instruments which is equivalent to a nightmare for me. Second, Tucker Avery? Really? First, Tucker is supposed to be a surname and Avery is a first name, that too of girls.

I would've given this book 4 stars out of 5 but I didn't like the ending very much. I sailed through 80% of the book but the other 20% lacked something I can’t put my finger on. The ending wasn't bad or disappointing; it was something I didn't expect. I didn't imagine it to end that way, I expected it to go off in firework so that it would leave me gagging for more. Anyways, I will not abandon this series; I think it can still be one of the best in its category.