dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Boundless - Cynthia Hand 3.5 Stars

I'm torn between giving it 3 or 4 Stars so I'll settle for its average. I would've definitely given it 4 out 4 if it hadn't been for the last 25% of the book. This series might not be the best Paranormal series ever written but it definitely is better than other ones out there. The characters have some sense in them, unlike those beat-up depressed Mary Sues who fall in love with a heavenly being just because he looks so hot. No, this one is very different, a good different.
I was enjoying Boundless a lot in the beginning Angela getting pregnant was kind of weird but it was necessary to the story. I got weirded out plenty of times when Clara, Christian and Angela were trying to raise the baby...I needed to remind myself constantly they are all above 18, it's okay, it's totally okay. But like I mentioned above the last hundred or so pages were not up to the mark. First thing, this Black Wing/White Wing, Purpose, Visions concept is not something I enjoyed reading about. It was very vague to me and I almost never felt familiar with it but Cynthia Hand's writing kept me drawn to the story, Clara and Christian were very sensible and mature and I loved that side of the story, the sensible side of the characters.

I really want to talk abut the ending. I don't understand why authors hesitate to give a sad one, (Suzanne Collins did and I love her for that). Even if Clara hadn't saved Tucker in that super-humanly way and turned him into a Prophet or whatever it was and roped in Clara and Christian together it would've been perfect. Or maybe I'm just that pathetic to want a sad ending, I don't know.
I get it that Clara and Tucker loved each other but everyone doesn't get a happy ending, if the story had been kept real by killing off Tucker and letting him move on with his life in Heaven I would've really loved it. Or again, I'm just a pathetic person who likes sad endings.

Then there was the epilogue. Oh my god, why can't people write good epilogues? Why does it always have to be so cheesy? With everyone getting married, talking and sipping tea on the front porch like old people? I loved Mockingjay's epilogue, it felt real not something corny to make the readers happy that at least the characters had a happy ending. I always hated this love-triangle concept because the left-out one either dies protecting the girl (like Cal) or is forgotten forever (like Gale was, I loved him!). Same happens with Christian, poor guy neither gets the girl nor gets invited in the Epilogue kitty-party. He had been such a rock, always there for Clara, always helping her think straight and whatnot but he just disappears at the end, he should've been given a girlfriend or something.

Because of all the complaining I'm doing it seems as if I didn't like this book. No, I did. I truly did. This series was very refreshing, characters were good, plot was good enough, kind of nebulous at times but still it held more girth than any other series out there. The love triangle was a repetition factor but it was written very well. Clara never told Christian that she loved him, she never lead him on like Bella did by jumping over that stupid Jacob while being in bed with Edward at the same time. Clara always had eyes for Tucker and she made sure that Christian knew it. I loved that about her, in all other books the heroine seems confused between which hot guy to pick but here situation made Clara choose not her heart.

I'll recommend this series to everyone actually. Everyone needs to read this and see that there are authors who can still write a good Paranormal Romance book with good heroine and everything.
This series might not cut the mark to be my favorite but it is close enough, I'll always have a soft spot for it and I'll definitely check out whatever Cynthia Hand will write in the future. :)