dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

The Rising - Kelley Armstrong Didn't like it, didn't hate so : 2.5 Stars

Out of everyone who has read The Rising till now I am the only one who hasn't given it 4 or 5 Stars. Guess I'm in the minority here.

This book was a continuation of the previous one, everyone was on the run the whole time. I think Kelly Armstrong is really fond of camping trips because this 6-books series was filled with it. And even though it was all so repetitive I enjoyed this series, I don't know why..but I did.

I have nothing much to say about this book because there was nothing special in it, all the kids were running, getting captured and escaping again...just like in the previous books. The ending was unsatisfactory though.
All this time they had been running from Cabals and in the end they negotiated with them? Went to live in a new Salmon Creek named Berger Creek like their old lives, the only difference this time was that they knew who they were. What the hell? If they wanted to do this, they could have surrendered the moment they found out (in the first book) and stayed in Salmon Creek itself saving themselves all this trouble.
From 1st book to last, nothing changed. Things were back to square 1.

The Rising wasn't worth a read. I wish I hadn't read it and someone had told me the ending because nothing much happened at the end anyway.
The reunion with the gang in from Darkest Powers series was okay, I was hoping to get more of Simon, he was my favorite but he had just 2 lines. Actually none of them had nothing much to say as their reunion was very short lived. It could have been extended, like, all of them could have escaped together, planned to take down the Cabals but no, Ms. Armstrong decided to end the book there. So instead of a lot of potential action we got everyone being charted off in a helicopter to Salmon Creek Part 2 after accepting their defeat.

I kind of enjoyed reading Darkest Powers & Darkness Rising series though, its kind of like a guilty pleasure for me. I am not supposed to like these books because of being so similar all the time but something pulled me their way.
But my love doesn't go much farther than this, no way in hell I'm going to read another spin-off trilogy (I've heard Kelly Armstrong is planning it).