dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

The Edge of Never - J.A. Redmerski #EDIT 2 : Sooo, I tried re-reading this book today and couldn't get into it at all. Found it utterly boring and sorry to say hugely overrated. The writing was cheap and broken at times and I still can't believe I liked this book when I first read it. I think it was because I didn't know there was going to be a twist at the end. Now when people are going to read it, they will already be expecting something but I hadn't and that's why I liked it.

#EDIT 1 : When I first finished this book, I think I was on some kind of high because I loved it at that time, but now when I think about it...I can't seem to remember why I liked it so much. After putting a lot of thought into it I feel like giving it 2 stars now but it'll be unfair. I guess I'll have to re-read it and decide.

Old Review:

Edge of Never starts out as a little boring, but not too boring to shut it down at once.
I’m not gonna go into the story and all, I’ll just review the parts I liked about it. At first I found it a bit slow but I after Camryn and Andrew became friends I got into the story quite comfortably. Some of the scenes were very cute, very Hindi-movie type like lying on the roof of the car in the rain etc. Exactly at the mid of the book Cam & Andrew have an almost one-night stand with all the details which didn't irk me but made me think What the hell? once or twice but I felt okay with it after a while because at first I didn't know there were going to be explicit sexual description of the events.
Another one of my issues is that I don’t handle romance too well. I don’t get blushes or butterflies while reading something lovey-dovey, instead I find it pretty boring and a waste of paper. So, the 2nd half of the book was filled with either sweet romantic gestures like that club thing or rough sex in a motel and I had to skip through most of it. Many people think of me as a prude for that but seriously I can’t stand reading about nuzzling, cuddling and staring into each other’s eyes. That’s why I got intensely bored after 3/4th of the book. But then I thought I've come so far, so let’s finish this book somehow.
I am glad I did. Oh dear lord! The sudden twist the story took was whoa!. It wasn’t something out of the ordinary because exactly that kind of thing happened in the Hindi movie Kal Ho Na Ho but it was written in the story so well. Although I would have preferred that Andrew had died instead of waking up from a coma which is almost unheard of to keep it realistic. Yeah, I like sad endings more than happy ones.
The book ended on a very cheesy and cheery note and I can’t really imagine what the author can actually write in its sequel. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. :D