dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

3.5 Stars

Hex Hall is a YA Fantasy series of 3 books by Rachel Hawkins consisting of – Hex Hall, Demonglass and Spellbound . It is a series that I would love to love.
But.
Yes, there is always a ‘but’. Still, before that let me go over the story, characters, writing etc thingies.
Story is as normal as a Teen-Fantasy book could be. It has a school – called Hecate (Hex) – to train witches, fairies, weres etc. Like most of the cases we have a female protagonist who is short and ugly but in this case she is not loony and a little less ugly, thank god for that. Sophie Mercer is an amazingly cool teenager who thinks of herself as Miss Do Nothing but like allll other books she has something else in store for her. Then what makes this series a slight more lovable? It’s writing and it’s little story too but for me it was more about the writing.
If you’re thinking that by ‘writing’ I mean it is poetic in sound and exuberant in words. You couldn’t be any more wrong. This book is actually funny, no funny is not right –it’s HILARIOUS! I could NOT stop laughing the whole time. I used to read same lines over and over again and laugh like crazy! Rachel Hawkins has already won my heart because of her sense of humour and after the first book I had made up my mind, no matter how the story turns out to be I will read the complete series and every other book by her.
Here are some quirks –
“Now, Sophia, would you care to tell me why you're here by the pond instead of reporting to your next class?"
"I'm experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs. Casnoff," I answered. "I need to, like, write in my journal or something.”

 “He raised an eyebrow, which made me totally jealous. I've never been able to do that. I always just end up raising both of them and looking surprised or scared instead of sardonic.”

 “You're the healing janitor dude."
"Groundskeeper."
"Isn't that like a janitor?"
"No, it's like a groundskeeper.”

{I am sooooooo re-reading those books! They can make me laugh in worst of the circumstances.}

Okay, the ‘but’ I mentioned. Characters, they lack finishing. Rachel Hawkins, I suppose is an incredulously funny woman and gave that quality to EVERY character in the book! Sophie, Archer, Jenna, Sophie’s dad, Elodie etc, everyone’s character was similar. There was a little bit of variation like Cal, Mrs. Casnoff but not much. Also, it lacked development. Sophie was going through so much but it’s like it didn’t affect her much except for 2 or 3 lines. That’s cool in a way too but there should’ve been a little more maturity in roles. That’s my only problem with the series.

Its sequels Demonglass and Spellbound are engaging too. The story actually gets better (in my opinion, some of my friends have a rather contrary opinion) and to my surprise there was no ‘forbidden love’ element - even though it was kind of forbidden but Sophie didn’t make a big fuss about it - and all the regular Paranormal crap we have nowadays. Its story was short, confined and satisfying at that. These books are so thin and tiny that they go by with a good amount of pace and you'd be at the end before you know it. It’s again, not one in a million kind of book, but it is very good for light-reading and cheering up your mood. Each of the three books are hardly 200 pages long but covers substantial amount of plot than the 300+ pages long Fallen, Halo, Twilight, Hush,Hush series etc could ever do. I’m sure if someone has read Hex Hall they might not consider it a favourite but they will not hate it either. There is something very cozy about this series and I am eagerly waiting for its Spin-off School Spirits series. :D