dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor - Lucy Christopher Also find this review on - Don't Stop Readin'

3.5 Stars

Wow. I absolutely loved the concept! Stockholm Syndrome is one of my favorite topics and I had been searching so long for a book which dealt with this issue.

"You saw me before I saw you. "

Another one of those chilling opening lines.
Unfortunately the book could not carry the same tone throughout. Its language was very fluctuating. At one moment, the prose was beautiful, building up that ominous feeling but suddenly there was a line which would turn out to be a mood-killer. Can't say I loved the writing.
Another problem was that the story was slow, too slow till half of the book, I had begun questioning whether to continue or not. But after that it got really better. The narration improved a lot too and when Gemma started developing feelings for Ty, I think it was the book's peak moment. Everything that happened after that gave me tingles.

And thank God for good characters. Gemma wasn’t a set plastic YA book heroine. She was real. Her character was so real , that’s how all sixteen-year olds are. As for Ty, I want to hate him, I want to hate him so much for stealing Gem but I can’t bring myself to. Well, I guess that means Lucy Christopher did a real good job at writing this.

“How long will you keep me?" I asked.
You shrugged. "Forever, of course.”

*shivers*

That was the most nerve-wrenching line for me. With ease he said “Forever, of course” really formed a tight knot in my stomach.

Stolen was a very 'disturbing' book in my opinion and the worst part is that while reading even I had come to sympathize with Ty, that makes me half-crazy or….more than half. There were a few aspects of this book that restrain me from making it my favourite but nonetheless I liked it and it is one of those few books which will stay with me forever but I don’t want there to be a sequel. I don’t think I could handle this torment of emotions once again.

Thank you Aelina, Basuhi and Alisha for recommending this to me. :)