dontstopreadin

Don't Stop Readin'

Hi guys, I'm Anushka (or Annie, if you like). I'm a serial reader and a more-than-occasional reviewer and I like to mention authors by their names in my reviews. (Ha! Suck it GoodReads!)

Carrie - Stephen King This was Stephen King's first published work and I hadn't even read it till now?! Some fan I am!
I hope Its never too late applies for me here and all will be forgiven.

THIS BOOK.
WOW.
Just WOW.
Amazing.
W-O-W.

I would have given this book 5-Stars but as I have already read a few books by Stephen King, I am well aware that he is capable of writing better stuff. Hence 1 Star less.

The opening scene. My goodness! Since that scene itself I developed a deep sympathy towards the main character. Poor Carrie. Always misunderstood, always picked upon, always the target of bullies . Ostracized by everyone from their world, she was forced to witness things she wanted, things she deserved from the outside.
If that wasn't enough she went through hell at her home too. Her mother being one of the most brutal and mentally deranged religious fanatic characters (that I have read about), tortured her enormously and even at home she could not do as she wished. Just imagine, how would it feel not to be able to relate yourself to anyone? Not willing to live at your home because it didn't feel like one? This was one of the aspects that made me commiserate with Carrie the most.

With those wild super powers, Carrie was supposed to be evil, people were supposed to be scared of her. But I was scared for her. Scarlet pointed out the same thing in her review and needless to say that I agree with her on everything she has said.

I don't know how to review this book...I actually don't know what to write about . There is too much to say and at the same time, very little. It left me speechless and as scary as hell it was, I had tears in my eyes too. Carrie is not a book that will just spook you, it will also make you feel frightened for the titular character emotionally. A horrifying read on all levels.

This book is recommended to people who have been reluctant to read Stephen King's work because the sheer size of his other books seems very intimidating or are just stupid enough to wave off his books by categorizing them as some "scary shit". (Yep, I have actually heard people say that to King's books.)